Selimiye Mosque (St. Sophia Cathedral)
Construction of this most important Latin Catholic place of worship on the island began in 1194 A.D. It was consecrated for worship under the name St. Sophia on 5.11.1326 A.D. by the Archbishop Giovanni del Conte Polo. The cathedral, constructed in the early Gothic manner, is the earliest French style structure in the Middle East and is recognized as the largest and most magnificent place of worship in Cyprus. Since it was the most important cathedral on the island, Lusignan princes were crowned kings of Cyprus here. The most striking features of the structure, constructed of limestone blocks brought from the Kyrenia region, are the monumental doorways. The carved stone windows above the main door are unrivalled examples of Gothic art.
The building was converted into a mosque after the Ottoman conquest and given the name of Ayasofya (Hagia Sophia). The two bell towers on the west of the building were converted into minarets, and the buttresses which ensure that it still stands today were also added.
Address: 68, Selimiye Square, Kuyumcular Street, Selimiye Neighborhood