LAPIDARY MUSEUM

 

The Lapidary Museum is a Venetian style two- storey stone- built building constructed in the 15th century. It is located at east of the Selimiye Mosque. Many works of stone like insignias, works of marble, tombs and columns from the Medieval Age were housed in this museum during the British Colonial Rule. These works of stone were accumulated from several historical places. There is a flamboyant style splendid window at the opposite of the entrance. It was transported from the Lusignan Kingdom Palace at Sarayonu Square, which was demolished in the British period. The other splendid works of stone of this museum are a sarcophagus (belonging to Dampierre family), the tombstone of Adam of Antioch and a marbled lion of St.Mark at the courtyard.

 

 

   LAW COURTS

 

The Walled City of Nicosia was the administrative centre of Cyprus starting from the Lusignan Period till the end of 20 th. century. The administrative centre was located at the Sarayönü Square where today’s Law Courts stands. This was the case for the Lusignans, Venetians, Ottomans and the British. Sarayönü Square was the most important part of the Walled City because all government offices were located here. In 1901 the British Colony Government demolished the Lusignan Palace which (main government office) completely and build today’s Law Courts buildings.

The main building is of a rectangular shape with an internal courtyard. There are several buildings that are attached and some are completely separate from the main building. The whole complex is surrounded by a low sandstone wall with iron railings. On the south-eastern corner of the walls there is the cote of arms of the British Empire. The only thing remaining from the original palace today is a sandstone Gothic window which was on the top of the main entrance door of the palace. This window is protected and exhibited at the Nicosia Lapidary Museum.

 

 

   LUSIGNAN HOUSE

 

The mansion from the 15th. century, which is situated within the Walled City of Nicosia has survived to thie day and attracts attention by its Gothic arch entrance door with its Lusignan era coat-of arms as well as the Ottoman era addition “köşk” and decorated wooden ceilings. The mansion was opened to public in December 1997. In the mansion, which has been furnished with authentic furniture of Lusignan and Ottoman periods, there is also a room for giving service to the visitors.

 

 

 

  THE LIBRARY OF SULTAN MAHMOUT II

 

The Library of Sultan Mahmout II was built by cut stone in the year 1829, by Ali Rouhi, the Governor of Cyprus. It is close to eastern entrance of the Selimiye Mosque. It is an example of classical Ottoman architecture, with its large domed room and two-domed arcade. Interior walls of library room are covered by a golden colored adorned poem which Hoca Hasan Hilmi Efendi praises Sultan Mahmout II. The books of the library were presented by Sultan Mahmout II. and by many other well known people. At present, for research and upkeeping, all the books are taken and preserved by directorship of National Archives.